I love foundation, I wear it every day and have done since I was 16! But lately I’ve noticed that the heavier coverage foundations I usually go for really settle into the lines around my eyes that are suddenly making an appearance (much to my dismay!) So I decided to try a couple of the new BB creams that are out at the moment.
If you have never heard of BB creams, they basically combine skincare & makeup in 1 simple step. They are a step up from a tinted moisturiser. Most makeup brands are doing them at the moment but this one from Maybelline is one of the better ones AND it’s cheap too. Sounds good to me so time to get testing!
The blurb from Maybeline:
8-in-1 Skin Perfector:
• Blurs imperfections
• Evens skin tone
• Protects with SPF 30
• 0% oils and heavy ingredients
Yes, I’d have to agree that it does all of the above and more. I applied the fluid with my fingers in place of my usual moisturiser and surprisingly, my skin tone was evened out and it gave good coverage. And although after one application, it felt fine I did apply a second layer and it looked even better. The application was even and there were no lines as the colour adapted so well to my skin. It also blended like a dream (hence the name maybe?!).
What I liked:
- It combines your moisturiser, SPF & foundation all in one! Perfect for quick makeup.
- It’s great for all skin types, applies really well on dry skin and oily/combo skin and manages to stay matte but with a healthy sheen which I thought was not possible for my oily skin!
- Fantastic, finish and colour, I chose light but it also comes in medium and dark.
- For €11.50 this won’t break the bank and a little goes a long way.
- It has an SPF of 30, which you should be wearing every day anyway but most foundations don’t go this high so this is perfect. Especially good for wearing on holidays.
- It’s so light weight that your skin feels & looks natural and is completely breathable rather than caked in heavy makeup. It’s basically like your own skin only 10 x better!
What I didn’t like:
- The packaging – if I had not heard great things about this which made me want to try it out, I probably would have passed it by on the stand. The packaging seems aimed towards teenagers/young girls, it just screams pink and fluffy!
- The colour looks a bit orange and scary when it first comes out of the tube but when you apply it, it doesn’t look like that on your skin at all which is just as well really!
- If you are looking for this to cover redness (as with roscea) or pigmentation of the skin, forget it. It works best if you have relatively good skin with no major issues.
I did need a bit extra with this so I also used a concealer (Bourjois Healthy Mix concealer) under my eyes and on any minor red areas on my face such as broken capillaries small spots etc. and that gave me a little extra coverage where I needed it. This is a much better way of applying your makeup anyway rather than masking your whole face in layers upon layers of makeup in order to cover a few blemishes.
This would be great for:
Teenagers – you can apply this going to school and it will last the day without going patchy or needing more makeup applied, although if you feel you need a little more later in the day, you can do that without it affecting the makeup that’s already there (once you haven’t used too much powder). If you need to cover spots, only cover the areas that need it as above.
More mature skin – yes even more mature ladies can use this and again, just conceal in the areas you need it also and it’ll give you a fresh faced dewy look which is great for mature skin and makes you look younger (now c’mon, who doesn’t want that?!)
So it’s safe to say I’m a BB cream convert and will actually be replacing my foundation to use this for work every day. I love how easy it is to just slap it on (it works better applied with fingers than a brush actually) and I love the result it gives to your skin it’s just amazing stuff so big thumbs up from me on this one.
Have you tried BB creams yet? Which ones do you like?