People always ask me if there are any good “cheap” foundations that they can use to save their more expensive ones, especially if they wear makeup every day as you can really find yourself having to replace your makeup very quickly so it’s a good idea to use a less high end brand of foundation for every day use. I recently tried out some cheaper brands of foundation to see if they could work as an every day foundation and maybe save my more expensive ones for the weekends and nights out. I bought two foundations one called Healthy Mix from Bourjois and also Rimmel’s new Wake Me Up foundation.
Bourjois, Healthy Mix
The claim from Bourjois on this foundation is “Bourjois’ 1st radiance-boosting fruit therapy foundation for a flawless complexion for up to 16hrs!”
At €12.45 it’s a bargain, although a lot of pharmacies do special offers on this from time to time.
What I loved about this foundation:
- It has a lovely fresh smell and it just glides on. It applies like a dream and I find it has great coverage, hides any redness or blemishes but without looking heavy or caked. It can be applied light and natural or in layers for heavier coverage.
- This is a great foundation for all skin types but it’s great for dry skin as it has various fruit ingredients that help nourish your skin and is suitable whether dry or combination. If you are very oily, you may need to use a primer.
- The claims that it last 16 hours are very accurate I have to say. I did a Zumba class while wearing this stuff and although I was sweating buckets this didn’t even budge off my face and I’m not exaggerating one bit!
- The shade range is very good also, 8 different shades in total and there is a very light shade that suits pale Irish skin right up to a darker shade for darker skin so there’s something to suit everyone.
- It comes in a pump bottle which I love as you only use what you need and there’s no wastage.
I LOVE this foundation, I had heard great things about it. It has come out top in all sorts of beauty polls and it really does live up to its good name. Wow! is all I can say, I’m so impressed with it that I’ll be wearing it every day in work from now on.
Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation
This is also another good one for everyday use and will give your skin a lovely radiant glow. The claims are that it’s: “Rimmel’s first liquid foundation that instantly reawakens skin with a healthy, radiant glow your skin will bounce back to life – even if your body is thinking otherwise.
Immediately eliminates visible signs of tiredness so skin looks rejuvenated. Also minimising signs of premature ageing. Wake Me Up works just as hard as you – staying put for up to 10 hours and giving you a natural, medium to full coverage”
The price of Wake Me Up foundation is a pocket friendly €10.95 and again it’s available in most good pharmacies such as Boots.
What I love about this foundation:
- As soon as you apply this, it just feels lovely and refreshing on your skin; it literally does wake it up and bring your complexion to life!
- The smell is fresh and the consistency of this is quite creamy so it gives a good medium to full coverage.
- Again, it comes in a pump bottle and a little goes a long way. Also it seems to last ages.
- It works best with dry/combination skin as it’s so dewy, so not suitable for oily skin as it can tend to look quite shiny. (I will do another review on foundations for oily/spot prone skin but in the meantime see my suggestions for you below)
- It gives your skin a beautiful glow and is great for tired dull skin or to give radiance and a flawless look to ageing skin.
- It has an SPF of 15 and comes in 6 shades so you’re bound to find a colour to suit you also.
I really like this one also, and for the price you can’t go wrong. It lasts a long time too, not quite as long as the Healthy Mix but it doesn’t melt off at the end of the working day which is great. The matching concealer to this is brilliant stuff and I love it even more than the foundation. It’s just the right consistency and coverage to use under the eye area and doesn’t cake up. You could use this with any foundation, even the higher end ones, and it would look great!
So thumbs up to both of these foundations, they are great for the price and they do a better job than some of the more expensive foundations it has to be said!
Cheap Foundations for Oily/problem skin:
Revlon Colorstay Foundation for oily/combo skin – €17.99
Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation – €8.75